The Ocean Decade in a nutshell - an insider's account
Welcome back to another episode of Ocean Insight! This time we are tuning in with a special episode about the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development, or Ocean Decade. Alison Clausen, Programme Specialist at the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO was kind enough to give us a short virtual behind-the-scenes tour of the Ocean Decade.
The Ocean Decade is a grand undertaking to fundamentally transform our understanding of the ocean, find sustainable management solutions and to re-establish our connection to the sea. The process itself is as participatory and inclusive as possible, with dedicated regional workshops and processes to include indigenous and traditional knowledge and other non-academic expertise. The 7 Ocean Decade Outcomes describe the Ocean We Want:
- A clean ocean where sources of pollution are identified and reduced or removed.
- A healthy and resilient ocean where marine ecosystems are understood, protected, restored and managed.
- A productive ocean supporting sustainable food supply and a sustainable ocean economy.
- A predicted ocean where society understands and can respond to changing ocean conditions.
- A safe ocean where life and livelihoods are protected from ocean-related hazards.
- An accessible ocean with open and equitable access to data, information and technology and innovation.
- An inspiring and engaging ocean where society understands and values the ocean in relation to human wellbeing and sustainable development.
We also talked about how to get involved in the Decade with own activities and actions. Make sure to check out www.oceandecade.org for more information.
The "nature-sounds-ocean-waves-for-relaxation" and "calming-sea-sounds" are used under License: Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0). You are allowed to use sound effects free of charge and royalty free in your multimedia projects for commercial or non-commercial purposes. http://www.freesoundslibrary.com